The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Magic 3.6 or DMS3?
Magic 3.6 or DMS3? –
I'm about to chip my V5/6 PAL ps2 and I was thinking of installing a Magic 3.6. Then I heard about the DMS 3. Now I'm not sure what to install. I'm hearing loads of things about booting rates for copy protection games and stuff so I would really appreciate if someone could help me with these few questions I have:
1) How difficult is the DMS3 to install? The Magic 3.6 only has 9 wires to solder which is a bonus. I have some
soldering experience but haven't chipped a psx or ps2 before.
2) Are there some games that will detect either modchip and will not boot? I know the DMS3 has a sleep mode, also will the magic 3.6 NOT boot any games (i.e. EA sports games)?
3) Is there any reason why I should definitely NOT install either one?
I know some of these questions may have been asked before, but I browsed through the forums and couldn't find any conclusive answers.
Thanks in advance,
The DMS3 team are likely to fix by flash upgrade the DVD rip problems currently identified with that chip; the Magic team will have to issue a new chip.
With that info, it's price/performance. If you need the extra DMS3 facilities, then you'll pay more and get more.
The clip is said to be easier to install, but when it goes wrong, boy does it go wrong. I think the real choice in this case would be between Magic 3.1 and DMS3.
Of course if ease of installation is your priority and you don't need the DMS3 features then you'll go for Magic 3.6.
I hope this advice has been helpful.
If I do go for the Magic 3.1 - are there any backups it will not boot and are there any PS2 originals that might detect it and then refuse to boot?
1. yes there are a few rips it won't boot.
2. there aren't any modchip detecting games at the moment. although the new online one may be, only for the online part though.