Help Need w/ Magic 3 v4 (nogap) install
Can someone help me trouble shoot my first Magic 3 v4 (nogap) install? (Man, there's a big jump in skill level required going from modding v7 & v5 PS2s to v4).
After several hours of trying to troubleshoot this v4 PS2, I'm baffled.
As of now, here's where I'm at:
1. PS1 & PS2 Originals - boots ok
2. PS1 CDRs - boots ok
3. DVD movies - boots ok
4. PS2 CDRs & DVDRs - inital electrons, then browser, (no red screen).
Magic 3 install guides are lacking, so I've been referring to the Charlie_PS2's troubleshooting guide for the M2. I've checked & double checked my bios pin connections and they appear ok. The CD/DVD controller pins appear to be unbridged under magnifcation (man those points were a biatch). Even though the M3 install diagrams showed connecting wires to vias, I opted to solder the legs (I've heard Charlie_PS2 harp many times about avoiding the vias).
The only thing I haven't done is tried to recalibrate the laser as I don't have the equipment to measure the ohms. Even after several months, I still consider myself a novice (have only done about 10 successful v7 & v5 mods).
My questions are:
1. Should I still attempt to work on the CD/DVD controller connections (I've resoldered them twice)?
2. Continue working on the bios connections (after all the mods I've done, I'm fairly confident those are good.
3. Work on calibrating the laser (what equipment do I need? multimeter? ohm meter? )
Any help is greatly appreciated.