The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
dead laser on old v2... worth replacing?
dead laser on old v2... worth replacing? –
Hey guys i've got my old school ps2 which i love but it is now through its 2nd laser. I'm thinkin i should retire this thing and go for a new one but im much too cheap to do so. So i had a few questions (i did some searching around but still couldnt find any real answers)...
1) I've heard that the khs-400c lasers used on v4-v8 can be used on v1-v3 and are much better. Is this true, and is it worth it?
2) If i buy a new laser do i have to tweak anything once its installed?
3) How much should i expect to get for my dead v2 with a neo4 installed?
4) Any good places to get a cheap laser? I know there are tons of vendors on the board but i havent seen much info on older lasers like the one i'm looking for, aside from posts from years ago hehe.
Any input is appreciated. Keep in mind i'm aiming to keep costs low while still trying to make it easy on myself. If the khs-400c will work without much effort i'm very open to it but i dont wanna waste time for nothing. (buying a new laser is the cheap but difficult way, while buying a new premod is the expensive, easy way hehe).
400c will fit to v3 as much as i know ... should get a pack with 400c and i have a v3 to test ...
if the 400c touch the switch it should work np.
maybe you'll need to tweak it a bit .... some versions need tweaking , others working prefect no tweaking.
its hard to find 400c new , many places out of stock . prices for new 400c should be arounf 60$ + shipping.
hope its helps
and for the dead v2 with neo4 .... isay it's not worth to much ... i say 30$ max ....
Alright i found a 400c for a reasonable price... gonna see what kinda magic i can work with it. Wouldn't be the first time i've resurrected this heaping pile of.... nevermind.
1) 400Cs will fit into any PS2 that uses a KHS series laser (not Sanyo or open-faced lasers).
2) Some tweaking MAY be required, especially since you'll be taking out the screw that adjusts the tangential skew setting. If you're lucky, you might have a PS2 that has the auto adjusting cog which will take care of the radial skew setting for you.
3) You'll get more if you take that nasty chip out of it. I'd say $35 minimum without controllers and hookups, possibly $50 max with the goodies.
4) Ebay, just choose a decent seller.
I suggest you buy a new laser and install it. If you think installing a laser is difficult then you fail at life :P
lmao... nah its not difficult just time consuming. Thanks for the tips though, i will go with the 400c for sure.
Originally Posted by Toma