PSXLinux kernel beta 1 release.
This archive contains beta 1 release of Linux kernel for Sony Playstation - PSXLinux.
PSXLinux based on uClinux 2.4.x kernel (www.uClinux.com
) and contains specific support
for Sony Playstation.
Essential features were added:
1. virtual console over Playstation GPU improved;
2. Playstation memory card block driver improved:
- some bugs fixed;
- large memory card (4x,...) support added;
- two memory cards into one device joining support added;
3. console over Playstation SIO added (115200, 8N1);
4. Runix hardware add-on supported:
- USB host controller SL811H driver with keyboard and mouse support;
- RTC support.
To compile PSXLinux kernel you will need:
1. Cross-compiler (egcc-1.1.2) and binutils-2.9.5 for Linux/i386 host
and MIPS little endian target. Binaries may be downloaded from
2. PSXLinux kernel source tree. Download free the latest version from
II. PSXLinux kernel source tree installation and compilation.
1. Create directory where kernel sources will be installed an put
kernel archive in it.
2. Unpack kernel archive.
gzip -cd <name>.tar.gz | tar xvf -
3. Delete stale object files and dependencies.
4. Configure kernel.
make config -- bash based configuration tool
make menuconfig -- text based color configuration tool with
menus, radiolists & dialogs
make xconfig -- X windows based configuration tool
You may load one of prepared configurations from file Config (simple configuration
without Runix hardware add-on support) or Config_Addon (configuration with Runix
hardware add-on support).
6. Compile kernel. You will get compiled kernel 'linux' in
the directory where kernel sources was installed (current directory).
7. Run compiled kernel on your game console.
for tools an instructions.
8. Now you may mount root file system from memory card. The memory card root image,
tools and instructions may be found on www.runix.ru
Best regards !