I know that this is old stuff by now but I'm sure that there are still dozens of PS1 FanBoys like me all over :D
I still find playing PSX games much fun and entertaining then playing RETARDED eye-candy graphics games we have all over these days...
I got a SCPH-9002 PAL PS1 (PU-23 board) and it has a modchip installed.
The thing is it won't let me play Dino Crisis... :( (n'either backup or original)
I think the fault it's the game being anti-modchip protected so I want to do an upgrade of the chip.
I found out that there are Stealth ModChips and I want to make one myself.
From what I've found, I think that a Stealth4 would do just fine for my console.
I also found that colormod isn't needed if I use an RGB SCART cable - True ?
I want to do this chip upgrade and never need to do it again.
Does Stealth4 support Multi-Disc and Import Games ?
Now it comes the hard part:
Things I need for making the ModChip:
1. An empty PIC - I have a local store very close that has 12C508A/12C509A
2. A PIC Programmer - I just made one a few days ago just for this purpose
3. A Stealth4 .hex - I have downloaded a pack with PSX ModChip hexes
4. IC-Prog - Comes with the ModChip hexes archive
5. Knowledge on how to Set-up IC-Prog for cooking the chip - Absolute ZERO
6. An RGB cable - I just made one to skip the colormod (if that's the case)
Before asking for help I should mention some things:
I won't buy a chip from the internet - I have never made a transaction outside the country and I will not start now... Besides, I don't have a PayPal account or anything related...
I didn't found PS1 chips anywhere near my location.
I like to make things by my own hand.
I have searched the internet for any kind of info about PS1 ModChips - The more info, the more unclear it gets... :crazy:
I found that different chips support different features, are compatible with different PS1 models, are compatible on different PIC chips and are written with different Programming Software settings... :crazy:
So what I need help with:
1. Is Stealth4 the best way to go ?
2. I have 2 versions of Stealth4 .hex and I'm not sure which one to use - Does anyone have a Stealth4 .hex that is working for sure ?
3. What settings should I use on IC-Prog to burn the chip ?
4. Will Stealth4 .hex work on a 12C508A/12C509A ?
5. I have briefly read few days ago (don't remember where) that before programming a ModChip I need to calculate some Clock value and manually insert it somewhere... ?
6. Are 12C508A/12C509A reprogrammable or there are just like CDR's one time write only ?
7. Will NTSC Import Games run full-speed on a chipped PAL console or slower then normal being that NTSC = 60Hz & PAL = 50Hz ?
8. Is the modchip altering by any means the PSX's video mode when playing import games or let the console display in it's native mode ?
I would very much appreciate if anybody will make a detailed guide on writing hexes on chips as I can't find any tutorial of this kind all over the internet or this board :D
The guide should include What type of hex will be written on what type of chip and with what Software and Software settings.
This tut might very well be made a Sticky for all to easily spot ;)
BIG Thanx in advance!