Click for other updates
Update 2 (Oct. 16): Version 1.0 has been released Includes a fix to 4.50 CEX should work for DEX as well but the developers needs feedback if that is working.
Update (Oct .15): user has updated this release and you will now be able to use up to six plugins for the system at one time. So checkout that download below marked update.
Original Article: PlayStation 3 Developer user, who created the very useful PSNope for the PS3, has a very exciting release for the scene in his VSH Plugin Sample. Thanks to the Cobra USB source code release and the hard work of all the developers involved. This plugin sample will allow for task (plugins) to be ran in the background, these task can be ran at all times even while in-games or applications. This system could be used for FTP, Fan utilities, just to name a few of the many potential uses. One feature in this sample is remote peek/poke at any time. This Sample will install to 4.46 CFW's CEX or DEX with LV2 Syscall 10 such as REBUG's CFW. and also any 4.50 version with Syscall 10. View all the details below and huge thanks to user, flatz and Team Cobra.
This is a small example that shows how to run tasks in the background. In fact its a small part of the cobra usb payload ported to 4.46 and 4.50. Of course the need for a dongle has been removed
- run tasks in the background
- tasks are running all the time (vsh, ingame, etc.)
Features of Sample Plugin:
- remote peek/poke at any time
- full ram access via lv1 peek/poke
- 4.46 Firmware Cex or Dex with LV2 Syscall 10 (e.g. Rebug)
- 4.50 Firmware with LV2 Syscall 10 (untested, dunno if it exists at all)
- if you're on rebug, run the toolbox and enable the "LV2 Memory Protection" patch
- run the VSH Plugin Sample App
- connect to your PS3 from PC using a telnet client (e.g. putty) on port 4546
Q: What kind of other background tasks could be done?
A: ftp server, debug plugins, cheat plugins, fan utilities, etc.
Q: Do i have to run the sample app again after reboot?
A: Yes, the changes being made are non-permanent.
Q: How many plugins at once does the payload support?
Q: May I use the source code in my project?
A: As long as its an open source project, yes.
special thanks go to:
cobra for opensourcing and flatz for 4.50 symbols and helping me fix a bug
click to view previous update
For the ones who want to load more then one plugin:EP0001-PRXLOADER_00-0000000000000001.pkg
you can define the plugins to be loaded in /dev_hdd0/game/PRXLOADER/USRDIR/plugins.txt (one line per plugin).
supports up to 6 plugins.
This one should support 4.50 DEX too
click to view previous update
- the remote peek/poke plugin now has a binary interface
- sample c# application is included that shows how to use the interface (dump lv1, lv2 and full ram)
- 4.50Cex is fixed
- 4.50Dex probably too
plugin_dev folder (for plugin developers):
- prx_loader.ppu.self is supposed to be loaded via tm (loads everything from /app_home)
- edit plugins.txt to load your plugin
- test_prx folder contains a simple prx example (have a look at cobra's netiso as well)
please let me know if it works on 4.50 Dex, thanks
- 4.46 Cex issue introduced in version 1.0 is fixed now
Download: (Updated Oct. 19)