For those of you unfamiliar with the PNM Project, please see our previous articles here and here
Download: PS3_NOR_Manager_V1.1_1.pdf (1.56 MB)
Here is the PDF documentation that explains how PNM works from an hardware point of view :
- bill of materials (BOM),
Coming soon :
- A virtual SOCKET #3 to access (Read/Write) the PS3 NOR (on motherboard itself)
It will give the ability to manage what others flashers around do without removing the embedded NOR.
- Realtime tests on a PS3 in differents situations :
* Static switching between 2 firmwares,
* Dynamic switching....
Tasks finished these last 2 days :
- serial link has been enhanced (speed) to 1Mbit/s,
- virtual SOCKET #3 instanciated in the FPGA,
- Teraterm macros to help managing DUMP/UPDATE (not yet fully functionnal),
- automatic detection of the firmware flashed,
- some minor software updates...
See ya very soon for more progress !
To make simple:
- private keys are used to decrypt (and sign) files needed to build a firmware.
- public keys are used to decrypt files like "EBOOT.BIN", SELF/SPRX files and so on.
If a new exploit is found to obtain privates keys then CFW will appear again.
Even if PNM project only aims to manage a TRUE dual firmware console, it may lead to public keys.
I won't explain it how.
What does that mean ?
It means devs will probably include public keys (ie 3.70) in a 3.55 CFW (like it has been done for 3.56 keys).
But i would like to underline that there some tricks that could be used by SONY to prevent such methods.
I won't explain them here.
Now, concerning the NOR flash. It only embeds a part of the firmware.
The other part is stored in the internal HDD.
To manage a TRUE dual firmware, it will be necessary to have both these parts (ie 3.41 HDD + 3.70 HDD).
I won't talk about the SYSCON in this post since most people reading won't understand what it is.
The lame method will consist to swap HDD.
But good news, there are some identified tricks to keep everything in only ONE HDD :-)
Again, to make things clear: PNM is NOT a project to promote piracy !
The main goal is to have a 3.41/3.55 CFW with Linux/homebrews and an OFW to continue enjoying last games, PSN...
But like any "weapon", PNM can be used for nice perspectives but also in "bad hands" for obscure aims.