Current Custom Firmwares:
This guide will teach you how to install kmeaw CFW, how to enable the use of backup managers and play backed up (legal) games/homebrew and connect to PSN. This guide works for almost every other current CFW (minus the files). This guide is for educational purposes only.
Lets get started….
- Download the original PS3 firmware 3.55 here.
Update your PS3 to the original PS3 firmware 3.55 (regardless of what CFW your currently are).
Step 1In this step we will create the patched custom firmware. You can either make your OWN patched CFW or download a prepatched one. Due to legal reasons we will not link the prepatched PUP in this tutorial, but you are free to “google” it. Just make sure you know the source of the prepatched PUP and the MD5/SHA1 match up. We will show you how to make your own (windows).
- Download the required files for CFW: kmeaw_cfw_lv2.pkg.rar or Mirror1
- Update: After downloading/extracting kmeaw_cfw_lv2.pkg.rar, replace the file lv2.pkg with the latest version found here
- Download the original PS3 firmware 3.55 here (same as the one your downloaded in Step 0)
- Extract the kmeaw_cfw_lv2.pkg.rar folder and copy the original PS3 3.55 CFW (PS3UPDAT.PUP) inside the cfwhax folder (see screenshot)
- Open command prompt (Start > CMD)
- Navigate to your cfwhax folder (type in cd C:UsersAdminDirectory to kmeaw_cfw_lv2 folder and press Enter)
- Once there, type in the following exactly as shown in bold:bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3CFW.PUP patchfile
- Let it run and do the patching, then you should now see a “PS3CFW.PUP” folder in your cfwhax folder.
- Delete the original PS3Update.pup and rename “PS3CFW.pup” to PS3update.pup Attachment 685
- You have now created your patched CFW and are now ready to update.
- Before proceeding please make sure that the MD5 should be the following (or for any you find online): 2be5e87a22bf1e7f48e98fcabd38977b
Step 2Time to install the custom firmware. This step is pretty much standard for all/any patched CFW file you may be using. Copy the newly created and renamed
PS3UPDAT.PUP to your flash drive (/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP). And now update your PS3 firmware as normal via XMB.
Note: If you get a error saying that your already at the latest update and it kicks you out, then you need to update your PS3 CFW via RECOVERY mode. TO boot into recover mode read THIS.
I got that error first time going through so I went ahead via recovery menu to complete the process.
If you see this on your XMB then the CFW installed properly:
Step 3Now that CFW is installed its time to get the backup managers to work.
- Download Kmeaw Patch here
This is a PKG which you install via PKG option in XMB. You have to run this whenever you want to run the backup manager (per restart). This PKG does certain things I will not go into that allows backup managers to run with this particular CFW. It is likely that backupmanagers in the future will build this feature in so do some research on this once this guide gets a bit dated.
Step 4Install a backup manager (must be signed), I recommend and am using Rogero manager v7.9a:
- multiMAN v1.13.03 (DOWNLOAD)
- Open Manager 2.1 (DOWNLOAD)
- Rogero BM Manager v7.9a (DOWNLOAD)
- Simple AVCHD Manager – (DOWNLOAD)
Some notes on backup managers – you must have any original PS3 game inside and you must boot from XMB.
See more PS3 signed homebrew here: http://psgroove.com/content.php?633-3.55-Compatible-Homebrew-Downloads
And there you go, you should have backups + PSN now running on your PS3
Please reply back with any questions/helps and your results!