Hi guys, I'm always looking for ways to make my PS3 experience easier so this was an awesome find. It's nothing special but I'm constantly needing to change firmwares like many of you with otheros++, True Blue and/or Cobra so I thought I'd share it. Please note that this doesn't work on firmwares above 3.55, this is simply a faster and easier way to use update files of the same firmware level.
Updates take only 3 minutes with this!It's a one click install - period. All the prompts are completely removed, including the license agreement, update details, and confirmation prompt. The PS3 bypasses even the version.txt readout, using only the filename you manually inputted for display.
To do this you MUST install QA Flag Extra, just using Rebug's debug menu will not work 100% in some cases
- Enable QA Flag Extra and go to the debug settings and enable "System Update Debug"
- Use Multiman's file manager(or other) and create a folder in /dev_hdd0 called "updater", so it's /dev_hdd0/updater/
- Create folders in that directory for the firmwares called 01, 02, 03, ect.(Dont miss a number or it will error).
- Copy whichever PS3UPDAT.PUP into one of those folders and........
- Rename it to whatever you want, you dont even need the .PUP at the end.
- Go to System Update then Update via Hard Disk and it should look something like this:
Some people with Launch 60gb and 20gb models are reporting that this method gives them a "highest firmware version is already installed" message, if you have one of these models and it does/doesn't work please let us know to help make the tutorial complete.
PSX-Scene: Easily swap firwares without USB
[You can VOTE FOR THE ENTRY, in PSX-Scene's Monthly Contest]
Article written by tthousand