Showtime Plugin Youtube 1.5 marks a new era in terms of login method, previous versions of the version made use of ClientLogin, in which you needed to type with an external keyboard your username and password to login. As of 20th April, 2012, that method became deprecated, due to that the future versions (1.5 and up) will use the newest method added by Google, OAuth2.
OAuth2 has several advantages, including security since your actual credentials for Google are not saved neither directly requested, besides that you don’t need an external keyboard at all to login, just a computer with Internet connection.
So, you need to have:
- Showtime Plugin Youtube 1.5: Showtime Plugin Youtube v1.5 - 720p/1080p Playback Fixed and Many Improvements
- Internet connection
The process of authenticating users in this method is simple, but for consumers it may still be confusing in some few points, because of that this tutorial will show you everything you need to authenticate correctly and use the plugin as an authenticated user.
1. Execute Showtime with Showtime Plugin Youtube 1.5 already installed
2. Open the plugin, the first thing you should see is a message explaining the process (this tutorial but only in words). Note: Don’t close that message, otherwise you have to reopen the plugin and repeat this step
3. Go to a computer with Internet support with the message of step 2 still open
4. Go to the website specified in the message (“Website: XXX”), generally it is http://www.google.com/device
5. It should show a page requesting a code, type in the box available the User Code that is displayed in the message (“User Code: YYY”) and click in the button on the page
6. If the code you typed was correct, you should get to a page where it asks if you authorize the plugin to use your Youtube account. You need to accept it in order to use it in the plugin
7. You should get now to a page confirming that you authorized the plugin and you should return to the device.
8. Return to the plugin and click in “OK”. If the process goes well, you should see now a last folder called “User Profile”. See it? If so, then congratulations, you’re authenticated and can use the plugin with your Youtube account.
1. What does that "Time limit" in message means?
It means you have only that time to do this process with the code, otherwise you'll have to repeat from step2.
2. After authenticating, if I exit Showtime and reopen it, will I be able to use my Youtube account?
Yes, you will. The plugin saves locally a token that uses to authenticate you at Youtube servers.
3. What if the token expires, may I still be able to use my Youtube account?
When a token expires, in the next request to the API the user makes, the plugin will automatically check if the token is expired and if so will refresh that token, getting a new fresh one, making you still be able to use your account, without having extra work.
LIKE/VOTE for this Entry in this month's Contest!