What is ScummVM?
- ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed.
- Originally it was designed to run LucasArts' SCUMM games, such as Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max. SCUMM stands for 'Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion', which was the first game for which LucasArts designed this system. And much later it gave its name to ScummVM ('VM' meaning Virtual Machine).
- Over time support for a lot of non-SCUMM games has been added, and ScummVM now also supports many of Sierra's AGI and SCI games (such as King's Quest 1-6, Space Quest 1-5, ...), Discworld 1 and 2, Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, Beneath A Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Broken Sword I and II, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Gobliiins 1-3, The Legend of Kyrandia series, many of Humongous Entertainment's children's SCUMM games (including Freddi Fish and Putt Putt games) and many more. You can find a full list with details on which adventures are supported and how well on the compatibility page. ScummVM is continually improving, so check the official site to see all the latest developments.
About ScummVM 1.5.0 "Picnic Basket" Released:
Little Red Riding Hood looking over at her grandmother's latest install of ScummVM, noting the update to version 1.5.0 and asked "My what a lot of games you now support". "All the better to entertain you with my dear!" responded the curiously grinning relative.
We all love to feast on the most sumptuous of gaming titles and our latest release will fulfil your craving for even more classic point and click adventures.
Version 1.5.0 adds support for Once Upon A Time: Little Red Riding Hood and the following titles:
Backyard Baseball 2003
Darby the Dragon
Gregory and the Hot Air Balloon
Magic Tales: Liam Finds a Story
Sleeping Cub's Test of Courage
The Princess and the Crab
As always, there are many more new features; you can find the full list in our release notes and the release itself on our downloads page.
Enjoy and hopefully you won't find the big bad wolf who is sure to give you a byte!
- Added support for Backyard Baseball 2003.
- Added support for Blue Force.
- Added support for Darby the Dragon.
- Added support for Dreamweb.
- Added support for Geisha.
- Added support for Gregory and the Hot Air Balloon.
- Added support for Magic Tales: Liam Finds a Story.
- Added support for Once Upon A Time: Little Red Riding Hood
- Added support for Sleeping Cub's Test of Courage.
- Added support for Soltys.
- Added support for The Princess and the Crab.
- Updated MT-32 emulation code to latest munt project snapshot. The emulation
- Implemented support for TrueType fonts via FreeType2 in our GUI. Along
with it GNU FreeFont was also added to our modern theme. Note that not all
ports take advantage of this.
- Added Basque translation.
- Added custom game and engine options in the AGI, DREAMWEB, KYRA, QUEEN,
SKY and SCI engines. It is now possible to toggle these options via the
Engine tab when adding or editing a configuration for a game. In most
cases, you will have to run each game once or readd them all in ScummVM's
launcher in order to get the custom options tab.
- Improved predictive dialog look.
- Various GUI improvements.
Broken Sword 1:
- Fixed incorrect sound effects in the DOS/Windows demo.
- Added support for PlayStation videos.
- Fixed missing subtitles in the demo.
Broken Sword 2:
- Added support for PlayStation videos.
- Implemented Roland MT-32 output driver.
- Added Spanish subtitles in the Von Braun cutscene (#3069981: no subtitles
in scene with "von Braun").
- Fixed a crash in Lost in Time
- Rewrote the AdLib player. Enabled the now working MDY player in
Fascination and Geisha.
- Added support for the Macintosh version of SPY Fox in Hold the Mustard.
- Added a difficulty selection dialog for Loom FM-TOWNS.
- Fixed graphical glitches in HE98 version of Pajama Sam's Lost & Found.
Game Downloads (Demos)
Where to Get Games?
Source: Official ScummVM Website
Download: ScummVM 1.50 PS3