Insider Information(via STLcardWS):
Click to View!
I tested about 30 doom wads and these are the working ones i found..
- prBoom (Playable Wads tested )
--Ultimate FreeDoom (Playable from Ep. #2, will crash on Ep. #1)
--Doom3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari
--Duke Nukem Total Conv. for Doom2
--Goldeneye 007 Total Conv.
- VBA Next
- Genesis Plus GX
----Sega Game Gear
----Sega Master System
- FCEU Next
----Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
----Nintendo Famcom Disk System
- SNES9x Next
----Super Nintendo (SNES)
- Final Burn Alpha V0.2.97.24 (Unconfirmed FBA list)
----Sega System 16A
----Sega System 16B
----Sega System 18
----Psikyo 68EC020 Based Hardware
Also, Please NOTE the FBA ROMset is synced with the latest MAME ROMset (Affects NEO-GEO/CPS-1/CPS-2/CPS-3)
Others Arcade boards should be fine..
Now i am not 100% sure but i believe this version of FBA 0.2.97.26 will emulate TurboGrafx16/PC-Engine/Supergrafx .
Please Note this info is from testing unofficial Builds
About RetroArch PS3 0.9.6:
Included in this package are the folloing emulators/game engines :
* SNES9x Next (Super Nintendo)
* FCEUmm (Nintendo NES)
* Final Burn Alpha (0.2.97.26 - latest version - arcade)
* Gambatte (Game Boy/Game Boy Color)
* Genesis Plus GX (Sega Genesis/Sega Master System/Sega Game Gear)
* VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)
* PrBoom (Doom 1/Doom 2/Ultimate Doom/Final Doom)
RetroArch PS3 - v0.9.6
See some screenshots here - https://imgur.com/a/6u8Zb#0
RetroConsole Level 2
Themaister, Squarepusher/Twin Aphex
After over half a year of development (well, slightly more) and lots of
preparation work, we can finally present you with RetroArch for PlayStation3.
HOW TO INSTALL THIS
ON DEBUG PS3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.6-debug.pkg' on your
USB stick, put it in your PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab -
Select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
ON CFW P3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.6-cfw.pkg' on your
USB stick. Put it in your CFW PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab -
select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
ON CFW Kmeaw P3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.6-cfw-kmeaw.pkg' on
your USB stick. Put it in your CFW PS3. Go to the PS3
XMB - go to the Game tab - select 'Install Packages',
and install the PKG file.
HOW TO USE THIS
On first startup, RetroArch will select one of the dozen or
so emulator/game cores. The name of the core currently loaded will
be shown at the top side of the screen.
You can now select a ROM that this core supports and load it in
To select a different core in the menu - press Select to go to the
Settings screen. From here, go to the 'Retro tab', and select
'Default emulator core'. Press X to go to a filebrowser where you
can select a different core. Press X to confirm, then exit
RetroArch. Start up again to boot up to the new emulator core.
To change to a different core ingame - press R3 to bring up
the 'Quick Menu'. Select 'Change libretro core'. Press X to
go to a filebrowser where you can select a different core.
During ingame operation you can do some extra actions:
Right Thumb Stick - Down - Fast-forwards the game
Right Thumb Stick - Up - Rewinds the game in real-time
('Rewind' has to be enabled in the 'Settings'
screen - warning - comes at a slight
performance decrease but will be worth it
if you love this feature)
RStick Left + R2 - Decrease save state slot
Rtick Right + R2 - Increase save state slot
RStick Up + R2 - Load selected save state slot
RStick Down + R2 - Save selected save state slot
L3 + R3 - Go back to 'Menu'/'Quick Menu'
WHAT IS RETROARCH?
RetroArch is a modular multi-system emulator system that is
designed to be fast, lightweight and portable. It has features
few other emulator frontends have, such as real-time rewinding
and game-aware shading.
WHAT IS LIBRETRO?
Libretro is the API that RetroArch uses. It makes it easy to
port games and emulators to a single core backend, such as
For the user, this means - more ports to play with, more
crossplatform portability, less worrying about developers having
to reinvent the wheel writing boilerplate UI/port code - so that
they can get busy with writing the emulator/porting the emulator/game.
WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
Right now it's unique in that it runs the same emulator cores on
multiple systems (such as Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, etc).
For each emulator 'core', RetroArch makes use of a library API that
we like to call 'libretro'.
Think of libretro as an interface for emulator and game ports. You
can make a libretro port once and expect the same code to run on all
the platforms that RetroArch supports. It's designed with simplicity
and ease of use in mind so that the porter can worry about the port
at hand instead of having to wrestle with an obfuscatory API.
The purpose of libretro is to help ease the work of the emulator/game
porter by giving him an API that allows him to target multiple
platforms at once without having to redo any code. He doesn't have
to worry about writing input/video/audio drivers - all of that is
supplied to him by RetroArch. All he has to do is to have the emulator
port hook into the libretro API and that's it - we take care of the rest.
The PS3 port of RetroArch is the most developed of the two right now.
It has all the features the standalone PS3 emulators had, with the
- Game-aware shading in every emulator now (*)
- Real-time rewinding
- More shader features (motion blurring, etc)
- Switching between emulator cores seamlessly, and ability to install new libretro cores
Included with RetroArch PS3 are a bunch of shaders - including the
latest versions of the popular xBR shader. It is possible to use two
shaders simultaneously to get the best possible graphical look.
* Check out Opium2k's manual shaders for Zelda 3 and others - you can
find DLC packs for RetroArch at this site:
EMULATOR/GAME CORES GBUNDLED WITH PS3 PORT
The following emulators have been ported to RetroArch and are included
in the first PS3 release of RetroArch:
- Final Burn Alpha (Arcade - various) [version 0.2.97.26]
- FCEUmm (Nintendo Entertainment System) [recent SVN version] (*)
- Gambatte (Game Boy | Super Game Boy | Game Boy Color) [version 0.5.0 WIP]
- Genesis Plus GX (Sega SG-1000 | Master System | Game Gear | Genesis/Mega Drive) [version 1.6.0] (**)
- SNES9x Next (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
- VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)
- Prboom (for playing Doom 1/Doom 2/Ultimate Doom/Final Doom)
All of the emulators listed above are the latest versions currently
available. Most of them have been specifically optimized so that they
will run better on PS3 (some games would not reach fullspeed without these optimizations).
* This port was previously called FCEU Next.
** This port was previously called Genesis Next.
WHAT EXTENSIONS ARE SUPPORTED BY EACH CORE
- Prboom: WAD|wad
- SNES9x Next: smc|fig|sfc|gd3|gd7|dx2|bsx|swc|zip|SMC|FIG|SFC|BS X|GD3|
- Genesis Plus GX: md|smd|bin|gen|zip|MD|SMD|bin|GEN|ZIP|sms|SMS|gg|G G|sg|SG
- VBA Next: GBA|gba
- FCEUmm: nes|NES|unif|UNIF
- Gambatte: gb|gbc|dmg|zip|GB|GBC|DMG|ZIP
- Final Burn Alpha: zip|ZIP
FOR EACH CORE (except for Final Burn Alpha): When you press 'X' on a
ZIP file in the File Browser, its contents will be extracted to the
/dev_hdd1/ partition. From there, you can load the ROM and play.
FOR Final Burn Alpha: Selecting a ZIP file from the Filebrowser will
load that game directly.
What can you expect in the future?
- A public release of RetroArch Wii that is on the level of RetroArch
- An official Android port of RetroArch (no, no App Store 'fee' - 'free'
as in beer AND as in libre)
- Port of NxEngine to libretro - runs Cave Story (PC version is already done,
now for the consoles...)
- Port of MAME 0.72 to libretro
- Port of VICE to libretro
- Port of ScummVM to libretro
- More emulators, more games that will run on RetroArch
- Lots of other crazy ideas that might or might not pan out
- Mudlord for his Waterpaint/Noise shaders.
- Hyllian for the xBR shader.
- Opium2k for the nice manual shaders (bundled with PS3 release).
- Deank for assistance with RetroArch Salamander on CFW PS3s and Multiman interoperability.
- FBA devs for adopting the libretro port.
- Ekeeke for help with the Genesis Plus GX port.
Twitter: libretro (@libretro) on Twitter
Opium2K DLC for RetroArch: https://code.google.com/p/retro-arch/
IRC: #retroarch (freenode)
Official Site: RetroArch
News Source: Squarepusher via Tortuga-Cove