Retro Arch Changes:
- New Zip-File options: Extract in same folder, or Extract on cache partition.
- Loading Incompatible Roms will no longer freeze the PS3 rather display an error message.
- Slight Modifications to the Quick Menu (R3) & GUI.
New libretro Core Added:
- Mednafen_Swan (0.9.22) -- (Bandai WonderSwan)
- This core is a WIP and so some features are not fully implemented yet like Saving/Loading Support.
Libretro Updates/Changes to Existing Cores
FBalpha has been split up a bit There is separate core for Neo Geo & one for CPS-1 & 2 games.
- fba_cores_neo (neo geo)
- fba_cores_Cps (Capcom CPS-1 & 2)
- fbalpha (Use this core for all other Emulated FBalpha systems)
● Mednafen_PCE_Fast (New Port)
This is a new port and has replaced the libretro core Mednafen_PCE. This port has fixed alot of issue the other port had. This is still a WIP so some features still may be missing like Saving/Loading.
- Full Screen is now supported.
- Improved Emulation
- Improved ROM loading
- This core emulates:
- Turbo GrafX 16/ PC-Engine
- Turbo GrafX CD / PC-Engine CD
- Super GrafX
- Core updated to version 1.7.0
Changes listed for genesis_plus_gx 1.7.0
Please Beware: These are the changes listed for the Wii/GameCube ports However it should be very similar if not the same for this PS3 port by Squarepusher
* added Mega CD / Sega CD hardware emulation (incl. Sub 68K, CDD, CDC, PCM, GFX rotation/scaling, etc)
* added .ISO & .BIN CD image file support
* added 512K backup cartridge RAM support
* added savestate support for CD games
* to play CD games, original BIOS ROM files are required in /genplus/bios/ directory: unzip & rename them to bios_CD_U.bin, bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin
* CD audio tracks (CD-DA) are not supported (yet)
* modified 68k core for Mega CD / Sega CD support
* optimized 68k core using prebuild const tables
* improved DMA accuracy
* improved accuracy of nametables register & VSRAM writes during HBLANK: fixes "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" (graphical issues during 2nd Boss fight).
* added support for 8-bit VRAM writes with undocumented code value (verified on real hardware by Nemesis)
* improved synchronization between SN76489 & YM2162 cores.
* improved accuracy of SN76489 core timings.
[Core/Genesis aka Mega Drive]
* added support for some recently dumped unlicensed games.
* improved emulation of 32k bankswitch hardware used by a few unlicensed games.
* fixed behavior of Z80 banked reads from 68k RAM (verified on real hardware).
* fixed support for 128K Pro Action Replay ROM.
* added support for all recent korean ROM dumps by SMS Power.
* added emulation of korean multi-game mapper (4-Pak All Action)
* added pseudo-random RAM pattern initialization on Mark-III and Japanese Master System (fixes "Alibaba and 40 Thieves" & "Block Hole")
* added port $3E emulation & internal BOOTROM support (Master System & Game Gear only).
* added an option to set VDP mode (PAL/NTSC) independently from console region.
* added an option to select original system master clock frequency (PAL/NTSC/AUTO), emulation will run at selected frequency when VSYNC is disabled.
* fixed 68k context loading/saving (Sol Deace).
* fixed C89 incompatibilities for better portability.
* removed use of "long int" type for portability on 64-bit platforms.
* moved savestate zlib compression out of emulation core (for ports that don't use it).
* various optimizations.
Click Here if you are new to Retro Arch
Unofficial ReadME -- (This is the original Read Me Modified to add all current changes).
Official Website | RetroArch Forum |RetroArch Twitter | YouTube | DLC bt opium2k | libretro.github | ScreenShots
What is RetroArch?
RetroArch is a modular multi-system emulator system that is designed to be fast, lightweight, and portable. It has features few other emulators frontends have, such as real-time rewinding and game-aware shading.
Why is it special?
Right now RetroArch is unique in that it runs the same emulator cores on multiple systems (such as Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, etc).
For each emulator 'core', RetroArch makes use of a library API that we like to call 'libretro'.
Think of libretro as an interface for emulator and game ports. You can make a libretro port once and expect the same code to run on all the platforms that RetroArch supports. It's designed with simplicity and ease of use in mind so that the porter can worry about the port at hand instead of having to wrestle with an obfuscatory API.
The purpose of the project is to help ease the work of the emulator/game porter by giving him an API that allows him to target multiple platforms at once without having to redo any code. He doesn't have to worry about writing input/video/audio drivers - all of that is supplied to him by RetroArch. All he has to do is to have the emulator port hook into the libretro API and that's it - we take care of the rest.
Libretro is the API that RetroArch uses. It makes it easy to port games and emulators to a single core backend, such as RetroArch.
For the user, this means - more ports to play with, more crossplatform portability, less worrying about developers having to reinvent the wheel writing boilerplate UI/port code - so that they can get busy with writing the emulator/porting the emulator/game.
EMULATED SYSTEMS & LIBRETRO CORES
- GameBoy Color
- GameBoy Advance
- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Super Nintendo (SNES)
FB Alpha V0.2.97.26
- Capcom CPS-1
- Capcom CPS-2
- Capcom CPS-3
- Neo-Geo MVS/AES
- Sega System 16A
- Sega System 16B
- Sega System 18
- Sega X-Board
- Sega Y-Board
- Psikyo 68EC020 Based Hardware
Genesis Plus GX
- Sega SG-1000
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Master System
- Sega Genesis / Mega Drive
- Sega CD / Mega Cd
- -Multiple Arcade Emu. (based on 0.37b5 romset)
- Turbo-Grafx 16/ PC-Engine
- Turbo Grafx CD / PC-Engine CD
- Super Graf
- Bandai WonderSwan
- Bandia WonderSwan Color
prBoom (Doom Clone) (Confirmed playable WADS)
- Chex Quest
- Ultimate FreeDoom (Play from Ep. #2)
- Doom3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari
- Duke Nukem Total Conv. for Doom2
- Goldeneye 007 Total Conv.
|WHAT EXTENSIONS ARE SUPPORTED BY EACH CORE
smc|fig|sfc|gd3|gd7|dx2|bsx|swc|zip|SMC|FIG|SFC|BS X| GD3 |GD7|DX2|SWC
Genesis Plus GX:
Final Burn Alpha:
FOR EACH CORE (except for Final Burn Alpha & IMAME4ALL):
When Extract to Cache Partition option is selected in Retro Arch settings:
You press 'X' on a ZIP file in the File Browser, its contents will be extracted to the
/dev_hdd1/ partition. From there, you can load the ROM and play.
Or you have the alternative to select in the option to extract in same folder.
FOR Final Burn Alpha & IMAME4ALL: Selecting a ZIP file from the File-browser will
load that game directly.
It has all the features the standalone PS3 emulators had, with the
- multiMAN Compatible (Feature Currently Broken)
- Save/Load Support
- Game-aware shading in every emulator now*
- Real-time rewinding
- More shader features (motion blurring, etc)
- Switching between emulator cores seamlessly, and ability to install new libretro cores
- Zip-File Support
- Variable Resolutions
- Custom Controls
- Cheat Support
Included with RetroArch PS3 are a bunch of shaders - including the latest versions of the popular xBR shader. It is possible to use two shaders simultaneously to get the best possible graphical look.
RetroArch DLC (opium2k)
* Check out Opium2k's manual shaders for Zelda 3 and others - you can find DLC packs for RetroArch at this site:
HOW TO USE THIS
On first startup, RetroArch will select one of the dozen or
so emulator/game cores. The name of the core currently loaded will
be shown at the top side of the screen.
You can now select a ROM that this core supports and load it in
To select a different core in the menu - press Select to go to the
Settings screen. From here, go to the 'Retro tab', and select
'Default emulator core'. Press X to go to a filebrowser where you
can select a different core. Press X to confirm, then exit
RetroArch. Start up again to boot up to the new emulator core.
To change to a different core ingame - press R3 to bring up
the 'Quick Menu'. Select 'Change libretro core'. Press X to
go to a filebrowser where you can select a different core.
During in-game operation you can do some extra actions:
|Right Thumb Stick - Down -||Fast-forwards the game|
|Right Thumb Stick - Up -||Rewinds the game in real-time *|
|RStick Left + R2||- Decrease save state slot|
|Rtick Right + R2||Increase save state slot|
|RStick Up + R2||Load selected save state slot|
|RStick Down + R2||Save selected save state slot|
|L3 + R3||Go back to 'Menu'/'Quick Menu'|
* ('Rewind' has to be enabled in the 'Settings' screen - warning - comes at a slight performance decrease but will be worth it if you love this feature)
- All Bios Files need to be placed in /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/system
- PR-BOOM - Requires PRBOOM.WAD (link) in the same same folder as your doom WAD file.
- Final Burn Alpha - Based on version 0.2.97.26. Make sure you have the right ROMs or you will have problems.
- Genesis-Plus-GX - Sega CD Emulation requires a sega cd bios in the same folder as your ISO / BIN files. The BIOS ROM files be named bios_CD_J.bin (Japan), bios_CD_U.bin (US) and bios_CD_E.bin (Europe). Sega CD music tracks are not yet completely supoorted (WIP), doesn't affect sound affects or music in some games.
- Mednafen_PCE - PCEngine / Turbo Grafix CD Emulation requires the BIOS to be in the same folder as the ROM you are trying to load. It needs to be named SYSCARD3.PCE
- iMame4All - Based on Mame Version 0.37b5, again make sure you have the right romset.
Bugs & Issues
iMame4All - Save states and rom reloading not working
Mednafen_PCE_fast - Save states not working
Mednafen_wswan - Save states not working
Genesis-Plus-GX - CD audio tracks still not working
If you find any other bugs, please report them in this thread.
- Mudlord for his Waterpaint/Noise shaders.
- Hyllian for the xBR shader.
- Opium2k for the nice manual shaders (bundled with PS3 release).
- Deank for assistance with RetroArch Salamander on CFW PS3s and Multiman interoperability.
- FBA devs for adopting the libretro port.
- Ekeeke for help with the Genesis Plus GX port.
multiMAN currently supports the following RetroArch Cores.
- Snes9x Next
- VBA Next
- Final Burn Alpha
- Genesis-Plus-GX 1.7
You must edit options.ini file within multiMAN to direct multiMAN to each core location.
Example: (Portion of options.ini file within multiman)
# FB Alpha/Next for PS3 # The program will also scan /dev_usb00*/ROMS/fba for game roms and covers # The program will also scan /dev_hdd0/ROMS/fba for game roms and covers # ROM extensions: zip/ZIP or files with no extension # fba_self=/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/fbalpha.SELF fba_roms=Your Rom Location Here.
* Also Squarepusher aka TwinAphex mention this @ ps3Crunch:
You don't need to use fba_cores_neo and fba_cores_cps1/cps2 on PS3/360. There's really no point to it.
These versions of FBA are meant for systems that have only 64MB of RAM available (or less) - they are cut down in size so that they will fit into the Wii/Xbox 1's RAM and still able to load most of the big ROMs.
On 360/PS3 we have at least 256MB main RAM available (and 512MB on 360 ) - so there's no need to use anything other than the main FBA libretro port.
Hope this clears up some things.
Compiled from Commit: https://github.com/Themaister/RetroA...b030c3b8a373b3
Download 3.55: 0.9.7 RC-1 (Unofficial Build by pete_uk) - kmeaw
Download 3.41: 0.9.7 RC-1 (Unofficial Build by pete_uk) - 3.41
*** Recommended you do a fresh install. Be sure to back up your bios files if you have them located in RetroArch folders.
Source: Pete_uk's Unofficial RetroArch Builds
- libretro github
- RetroArch Twitter
- RetroArch Forum
- Opium2K DLC for RetroArch Link 2
- RetroArch Official Youtube page
Previous RetroArch News/Release Articles
- June 3rd 2012 (Official Release)
- July 6th 2012 (RetroArch News)
- July 12th 2012 (Unofficial Release - by pete_uk)
Other RetroArch Links